Thursday, June 3, 2010

I started...

I started shadowing today!

It didn't start off as awesome as I would have liked. But, it picked up in the afternoon and I really think I'll enjoy it. 

I started off my day taking a quick tour of the center and then watching an ultrasound of the heart. It was pretty cool. Then, I went off and watched *something!* I can't for the life of me remember what the name of it was and it's raining so hard outside I don't want to go get my pamphlet.  Anyways. It is used for people who have coronary artery disease and are unable to get bypass or a stent. But clinical studies have shown that this non-surgical option is just as effective. The downside is you have to come in every weekday for 7 weeks. I wish I could explain more, but let's face it, you probably don't care and wouldn't understand anyways :)

Next, I went into the nuclear lab (sounds cooler than it is) and watched a chemical stress test (meaning that they didn't use the treadmill, but rather had a radioactive chemical injected into them).  I also watched a MUGA scan.  This uses a radioactive chemical too, and measures the ejection fraction. EF is the amount of blood that is pumped out of the hearts ventricles. 60-70% is a good range. I was able to follow through on the patient with the MUGA and see her with the P.A.

I then went for lunch.  I went to my dad's office for lunch. That was pleasant. I just love my dad so much :)  Around 1, I went back to the cardiologists office.  I got to follow around a P.A. for about 2 hours, going in and seeing patients with the P.A., and her explaining to me different heart issues and solutions, and medications, and basically everything else.

It was overall a very successful day, and I hope tomorrow will be just as good.

Thanks for tuning in.. Have a good weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment