Friday, April 23, 2010

Dynamics of Aging


This semester I took a class on aging.  Aging terrifies me. Seriously. I am scared to death of getting old, forgetting who I am, and loosing everyone that means the world to me.  
I have recently been watching a lot of Grey's Anatomy.  There are two episodes that just stick to me, and they both the cutest adorable old couples involved.  Each couple has SUCH love for each other and such devotion and care towards each other, it's encouraging. I know, I know, it's just a TV show, but I've SEEN love like that in old age, and I know it can happen.  
Anyways, in one episode, the husband looses the wife after surgery and stands there for a while trying to give chest compressions, unbelieving that she could really have died.  In the other episode, the wife (always the girl...) is diagnosed with advanced cancer -- given 4-6 month to live. The husband doesn't want the wife to know and the wife doesn't want the husband to know.  They both know, but they don't know the other knows. So, they leave the hospital and travel around until she dies.  
They make me cry every single time. 
I thought that when I took this Dynamics of Aging class, it would help me understand getting older better, and help me feel better about aging.  But no. It just gave me the facts and that's it. It was an informative class, but I don't feel better about aging. 
Obviously, I don't have a choice, as people remind me.  But luckily, I have a while :) 
I just hope that I have love like the movies -- and that will get me though.

No comments:

Post a Comment